- Sodium hydroxide(Caustic soda) is used to help manufacture a variety of medicines and pharmaceutical products
- Caustic soda is used in fuel cell production
- Caustic soda is used in several food processing applications, such as curing foods like olives or helping to brown Bavarian-style pretzels, giving them their characteristic crunch.
Caustic soda is one of the common names for sodium hydroxide (NaOH), which is also known as lye. Its common name derives from its chemical identity as a sodium hydrate and because it is caustic or corrosive. Caustic soda is a waxy, white solid. It readily absorbs water and forms aqueous solutions. Commercially available caustic soda or sodium hydroxide is usually sodium hydroxide monohydrate, NaOH·H2O.
- Pure caustic soda is sold for making candles or soap.
- Impure caustic soda is found in drain cleaner.
- Because lye is used to make illegal drugs, it’s harder to buy large quantities than in the past. However, small containers are available in stores and online.
There are no reviews yet.