- Bronopol is used in consumer products as an effective preservative agent.
- Bronopol as an active ingredient is registered as a commercial biocide and preservative in many industrial processes.
- It is used as a preservative in pharmaceuticals, as well as numerous consumer products such as shampoos and cosmetics.
- Bronopol strongly inhibits the growth of Gram positive and Gram negative Bacteria
- It also is highly effective in eliminating the growth of Pseudomona species, including pathogenic Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Its applications include cosmetic, pharmaceutical, toiletry and household products.
- Bronopol breaks down under alkaline conditions and elevated temperatures
and should not be used in combination with secondary amines.
- Bronopol hydrolyzes within 3 h at 60 °C and pH 8, producing formaldehyde, nitrosamines, and other molecules
- Bronopol is moderately toxic by the oral route.